Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Givin' It a Whirl

A friend of mine (OK not really a friend, but a person I know) is in the process of quitting facebook. He posted a blog this morning with his rationale, and even though it was not his primary reason, he made a good point about the FB scam. He said, "I'm making things worse by participating at all. I encourage the cycle by putting my content into this closed system, since the only way that friends, family, or fans can see my stuff is by them signing up..." Now that he's switched to a blog, anyone can see his stuff. That idea has stuck with me. I've certainly been guilty of pressuring someone to join so that they can keep up with me like everyone else does. This also relates to the lazy aspect of my nature. Why should I have to make an effort to tell you everything that is going on via email, when everyone else already knows through FB?

In the case of Jeff, it really isn't more difficult for me to follow him now that he's not using FB because I'm a big fan of Google Reader and have added him to my subscription list. For me, his change is a win because I can actually access Reader at work, as opposed to FB, which is blocked.

Result: I am going to start a blog and see how it goes. I don't imagine you care much about what I write, because at this point I don't either. I've been struggling with that lately (OK for years) and maybe this outlet will give me a reason to actually think about things enough to have an opinion. Maybe one day this blog will get a theme. For now, it is just me spouting stream of conciousness basura.

To go back to that friend I mentioned in the first sentence; he's on my friends list, but that doesn't necessarily mean I know him well enough to call him a friend. Maybe tomorrow's topic will be about friendship. For now, I can say that I'm jealous of him because he won't have to put up with someone's 'vague-booking'. I really hate that. I think that a single instance of vaguebooking will earn someone a hide from now on.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, awesome, I just say this today! You think Google would auto-connect us!

    Hey, if I have napped with your dog, then I am a friend - that's how that works!

    ReplyDelete